WowHaus

Contact WowHaus
Menu
1930s, Modernist, United Kingdom

Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3

Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3
Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3

I suspect this might be of interest. An apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3 for less than you would think.

Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3
Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3

 

There are two reasons for the budget price tag. First off, this is a modestly-sized studio apartment. Not the biggest of spaces. Secondly, this is available as shared ownership. So the headline price is half of the apartment’s value. I’ll come onto both in due course.

Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3
Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3

 

But for now, let’s talk about the Isokon. You probably know that this is one of the most important modern movement buildings in the UK and that it was built to a design by Wells Coates in 1934.

Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3
Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3

 

It was also the first apartment block to be constructed mainly from reinforced concrete. Oh yes, its significance means that the block has a Grade I listing. It was renovated back to its best in 2004, although apartments will vary inside due to the personal taste of owners.

Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3
Studio in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3

 

As I said, a studio apartment, one that you will find on the third floor. Space is pretty much the main studio room (incorporating bedroom) overlooking the communal gardens and the Belsize Wood Nature Reserve, along with an en-suite dressing room/bathroom and a separate fitted kitchen. Yes, pretty tight.

Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3
Studio in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3

 

Yet despite that, there is still that draw of being able to say that you live in the Isokon building. We all love it, but few of us can say we ever lived in it.

Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3
Studio in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3

 

If you want to live in this apartment, the price is £190,000. Why? Well, this is sold with a 50 per cent share in conjunction with Notting Hill Genesis and a further 30% can be bought further along the line, bringing the potential total ownership to 80%. But you will have to pay rent and a service charge if you go down that route.

Apartment in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3
Studio in the 1930s Wells Coates Isokon Building, London NW3

 

No, it isn’t the magnificent penthouse I featured a couple of years back. But you will share the same space.

Images and details courtesy of Haleigh Residential. For more details and to make an enquiry, please visit the website.